Sunday, September 5, 2010

Imperfection is my teacher


“In doing nothing, in simply stopping, we can live freely and true to ourselves.”

From Nothing to Do, Nowhere to Go (2007) by Thich Nhat Hanh.

When the urge to know surfaces, stop.

Get lost.

What’s good is bad, and what’s bad is good.

Trying to get home from Kanazawa Castle…



I got lost.

I got on the wrong bus, and I got off at the wrong stop.

I thought: this is bad, until I started walking.

I discovered the river path.

It’s so close to my apartment.

A beautiful path along the Asanogawa river lead me home.

This is what I discovered from making a mistake:



Imperfection is my teacher.

2 comments:

  1. yes, we would never experience so many magical things if were on a perfectly planned path all the time. Lovely thought, Brenna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are writing a blog. I think you should write a book! I have been thinking about that for a while, but haven't had much time to email - kids school starts soon, and it's been mad around here.
    Laura (Ithaca, NY)

    ReplyDelete